Flex Alerts are voluntary calls for consumers to conserve electricity. When the power system is stressed and available supply may be insufficient to meet expected demand, the State will be asking everyone to voluntarily conserve energy. You can help by taking these actions:
- Set thermostats to 78 degrees Fahrenheit or higher (if health permits)
- Avoid using major appliances (such as dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers, and ovens)
- Turn off all unnecessary lights
- Use fans for cooling instead of air conditioning
- Unplug unused items or turn off power strips
- Avoid charging electric vehicles
- Turn off pool pumps
The City will communicate if a flex alert is expected. Your conservation efforts can help us avoid power outages or service interruptions. Find out more about flex alerts and sign up for notifications from the State at flexalert.org.
These additional resources can help you prepare for public-safety power shutdowns and wildfires.